Skip to main content

Rhubarb Gin


I came across this recipe over the weekend and I had a bumper harvest of rhubarb in my garden veg patch to try it out. I thought I'd share it with you. I've not tried gin before, but I know my sister loves it and its very popular right now and the colour is going to be amazing.

I also made rhubarb crumble cake and it was delicious served warm with cream. I still have lots of rhubarb left over, I think I picked over 3kg! More cake I think and yes more gin.


Ingredients:
*1 litre of gin
*300g caster sugar
*600g rhubarb, cut into 2cm pieces
*1.5 litre jar (I tried a 1.5 litre jar and it wasn't big enough, try a 2 litre instead!)
Chop the rhubarb into roughly 2cm pieces, the redder the rhubarb the more pink your finished gin will be. I put mine in a bowl with the sugar and set aside for a couple of hours, I do this for jam making too, the sugar extracts the pink in the rhubarb. Then put the rhubarb into a 2 litre Kilner jar, add the gin. Make sure the jar is sealed and then give it a good stir until the sugar dissolves (most of it will be syrup from where you left it to rest previously). Leave in a cool, dark place for a couple of weeks then sieve and bottle it up. I bought the lovely Kilner clip top preserve bottles in Dunelm for £3 each, will make a lovely gift and they come with a cute label ready for you to write on (or you could make your own as I will)



Rhubarb Crumble Cake
Serves 6 people
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 100g butter
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 100g self raising flour
  • 225g rhubarb (cut into 1 inch chunks)
For the Topping:
  • 50g butter
  • 75g plain flour
  • 25g sugar
Instructions:
Grease a 20cm/8inch deep round cake tin and preheat the oven to gas mark 5/180C. Make the crumble topping by rubbing the butter into the flour, add the sugar and place the bowl in the fridge. I make mine in the food processor as it saves getting your hands covered in butter.
For the sponge, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Lightly beat in the eggs and then fold in the self raising flour. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and level it off, place the chopped rhubarb pieces on top of the mixture and sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar. Cover the rhubarb with the crumble mixture and place in the centre of the oven for 45 -55 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch.

A lovely summer cake or pudding with squirty cream!

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
Not a fan of gin but the cake is definitely my cup of tea, sounds delicious.
Delicious and delicious!
Eight by Six said…
I've just tried the gin and it's lovely. Definitely need more cake tomorrow
Eight by Six said…
Tried the gin tonight with tonic and rhubarb cordial - rhubarb rhubarb 😉
sanpiseth40 said…
i really likes your blog and You have shared the whole concept really well. and Very beautifully soulful read! thanks for sharing.

āļ•āļēāļĢāļēāļ‡āļ„āļ°āđāļ™āļ™āļžāļĢีāđ€āļĄีāļĒāļĢ์āļĨีāļ

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

My granny tee is finished

You might remember this post from about ten days ago, well I've now finished my 4th granny tee and I'm currently finishing off my fifth one this week that I stared last year (oops). Indigo Blue came about when I took delivery of my Scheepjes Skies mini skien box (heavy/aran) and I'm in love with this yarn! I was sitting watching a film when I had the sudden urge to crochet another Granny Tee by Sarah (aka annaboos house) The mini skeins are perfect and I ended up using two boxes plus a larger 100g skein for the sleeves and joining. It has amazing drape and the colours are a subtle shift of indigo that is going to look fabulous over a white t shirt with jeans and flip flops. Perfect partnership and so bang on trend for the tie dye look that's about for festivals for this summer.  The total cost was around GBP35 not including delivery and I think for a custom made jumper that's not a bad price. I measured it as I added rows then I added side slits to my g