Skip to main content

granny square, happy square

I'm feeling under the weather today, the lurgy finally got me, well so many people surrounding me have it so it was inevitable I'd have a weak moment! Still in my pjs doing some chores but not over exerting myself today. My weekends nowadays are very relaxed and laid back, must be my age.

I'm getting over this brief drop in energy levels drinking tea, resting and crochet; colour and crochet (making more granny squares) are not only therapy and good for the soul but your general well being. Its good to be surrounded by colour and yarn, keeping your hands busy and your brain active. A win win situation, oh and you get a finished product to keep you warm for cosy Sunday afternoons napping on the sofa watching an old movie. I like this, I like this a lot. You take a small plastic box full of yarn scraps and turn it into a useful object. Its also a work of art if you think about it, a timeless piece of history too. No two blankets are ever the same (unless you go out of your way to do that) but thats the fun part, grabbing pieces of yarn and making colourful happy squares, joining them together and adding a cute border.

granny squares and Fiddly Bits cowl 

Here are some photos from last week, a little record of my week in colour. Enjoy your weekend what ever you are up to in your part of the world. Amanda


a new yarn delivery
Moss keeping me company under my blanket

another cowl on my Easy shop




Comments

Jille said…
Sorry to hear that you are feeling under the weather. Loving your crochet. Hope you feel better soon x
mamasmercantile said…
Hope you feel better soon, there is nothing like an afternoon under a blanket creating to lift the spirits. Take care.
Hope you are feeling better very soon. Enjoy your crochet in the meantime.
Eight by Six said…
Thank you! Two weeks on and it's gone x
Eight by Six said…
Thank you, I'm recovered now x
Eight by Six said…
Thanks Amy, this was a nasty flu type bug that everyone seems to have in the UK! Plenty of crochet time planned this weekend x

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

traffic jam (crochet simple granny triangle shawl)

I got stuck in the office on Monday night, not the best of situations but this estate I work on does get congested frequently and not helped by lorries breaking down blocking one lane of two. Anyway all was not lost because I'd had a new yarn delivery that morning and I needed an excuse to stop and crochet. And this is how this granny shawl got its name. Isn't it gorgeous? It's crochet in the new Sirdar Colourwheel DK yarn. On first inspection I wasn't that taken with it, but now I love it. No more colour changes, yipee. If you'd like to know how to make this here is the Simple Granny Triangle pattern I'm using or this link . Happy crocheting!