Skip to main content

Instant gardening in a grow bag

I know I owe you a Chelsea part II, and I will write it next week, but this is part of it and I wanted to highlight this first as I've been doing a spot of gardening (in the rain) today myself.

In my garden we have a garage wall that belongs to our neighbours. I've bought something at Chelsea Flower Show to use against this wall. We have a south west facing garden so the sun hits this wall in the morning then comes round during the day, flooding the patio with heat, which the wall and the house wall soaks up.

I've been thinking about buying a green house for ages and ages but 1. they are expensive 2. hard to put up and 3. not sure I have that much space for one. I was looking at the flower show for something to allow me to grow against this wall that was quirky, functional and cheap! I love gardening but I hate being ripped off with over-expensive items. Well.... I found the best find ever ..... let me introduce you to the British designed, British made Grow Bag Frame. Isn't it cute? I love the simple design that allows you to use a small space to grow veg in a grow bag. The frame is very clever and locks the bag into the frame on its narrow edge with strong vertical plant supports. Its made in the UK from 100% recycled galvanised steel, so I'm also doing my bit for the environment too. Its easy to assemble with the help of a helpful husband (cue Ian) and you can store it flat at the end of the growing season in your shed or garage. Even better still, using the grow bag on its side allows you to add more soil, your own compost, which should make your veggies grow even better. You can move it effectively but picking it up by the frame sides. I've found a good place to put the plant names, insert into the plant support pocket at the top! I added canes because I wanted to encourage the cucumber plants to grow a bit higher.

I you want to buy one or two you can here. I'm not paid to endorse products, I just like to give my honest opinion of a good product when I can. I'm going to order another two, because I like them and they are so handy. I've sown climbing beans to use for one of them.









Back to my garden ... today in the village I live in we had a house-hold sale from peoples houses/front gardens and the village hall. We have a Facebook page and someone advertised hanging baskets, they were in an unusual basket so I was intrigued, I bought one, came home and ordered another. Chris who is a talented gardener made one for me exactly the same and it was ready really quickly. Great service and a lovely selection of plants. I especially like the basket, it has and iron handle, I've never seen them before. So now I have two hung on my bird hangers which are just perect.




The front garden is doing really well, and the Ladies Mantle is about to flower. I like the way it softens the edges of the grey driveway. Most of the plants were seedlings from the back garden or bought in Morrisons, Aldi and the two bigger evergreens were 60p from Homebase about 5 years ago! The little bay tree was a bargain in Aldi last summer, and its having a growth spurt! This year they have twisted Bay but I've yet to find one. Gardening doesn't need cost the earth, its far better to find a bargain and watch it grow than pay ££ for a big plant. My sister always gives me cuttings and this year she gave me two tomato and cucumber plants because I hadn't got round to growing any. So its going to be a free salad later this summer. Enjoy your garden next week, I've heard the sun is going to make an appearance :-)



Comments

Poppypatchwork said…
I have a couple of lean too greenhouses with plastic inserts instead of glass. Attached to your wall, they make great growing space and really a good price. Love your gardens and your outlook, gardening can be expensive but there are ways to save money.
mamasmercantile said…
I also have a plastic greenhouse that I put away during the winter months but it is great for starting things off. The growbag frames are a great idea.
Glad that you have found a solution for growing against the wall. I hope that your plants do well for you - and the frames do well too! xx
I like the sound of the growing frames. It sounds like you live in a great community. I try not to spend too much on the garden I'm always happy to find a bargain x

Popular posts from this blog

Denim Daisy Granny Square construction

And here it is all finished last Friday, just in time for a heat wave! Seriously I do love this jumper and it fits so well with a white t shirt underneath, jeans and flip flops. Just waiting for the cold spell so that I can wear it out (rather than around the garden when its cooled down in the evenings!). I haven't written a pattern as such just some helpful notes from my pad. If people want to know how to construct one have added some notes below. As you know the Daisy Granny Square is the design of Sue Pinner from her book  Granny Squares published 2013. I do love Sue's book, its packed with so many projects and ideas and the photos are beautiful. The daisy granny square pattern is quite addictive and you soon have a small pile of them in no time! I have an idea to make another one for the autumn in the same Debbie Bliss Rialto DK yarn but all edged in shade 90 honey, I have enough in my stash. Construction  Notes:  You need to make 18 granny squa

cables without the cables (Birch Trees scarf)

Earlier this year I came across this lovely Birch Trees Scarf knitting pattern over at Hand Knitted Things . Its one of those patterns that you just have to try because its so pretty and very practical and looks far more intricate and complicated than the 4 row pattern suggests. I like to call it cables without the cables, such a clever pattern thank you Julia Marsh.  I'm knitting mine on vintage no. 7 needles (kindly given to me by my mother-in-law) and using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino charcoal out of my yarn stash that was meant to be for Ian's scarf! shh don't tell him! I use DB yarn all the time, picking up bargains in John Lewis and eBay but its the first time I've knitted with Cashmerino, and it isn't going to be the last. It gives you great stitch definition and the softest yarn ever, I love it. So here is my scarf in progress. It has been sitting in my car waiting to be loved again after I accidentally knitted the moss stitch border wrong. I know ho

traffic jam (crochet simple granny triangle shawl)

I got stuck in the office on Monday night, not the best of situations but this estate I work on does get congested frequently and not helped by lorries breaking down blocking one lane of two. Anyway all was not lost because I'd had a new yarn delivery that morning and I needed an excuse to stop and crochet. And this is how this granny shawl got its name. Isn't it gorgeous? It's crochet in the new Sirdar Colourwheel DK yarn. On first inspection I wasn't that taken with it, but now I love it. No more colour changes, yipee. If you'd like to know how to make this here is the Simple Granny Triangle pattern I'm using or this link . Happy crocheting!